Match the idiom to its meaning
- Across the Board
- Behind someone’s back
- Cup of tea
- Different as chalk and cheese
- Eyes in the back of your head
- Forty winks
- Gain ground
- Have your hands full
- In the running
- Keep your word
- Lose your temper
- Month of Sundays
- a) See everything
- b) Having a chance
- c) A very long time
- d) Very busy
- e) Keep a promise
- f) Become/get angry
- g) A short sleep
- h) Completely different
- i) Something that you like
- j) Secretly, without knowing
- l) Make progress, advance
Fill in the gaps using one of the adjectives. (lazy, polite, moody, chatty, kind, mean, clever, honest).
- Ane is very …….…….. she’s always on her phone.
- My youngest sister is really…………., she never fails her exams.
- Maria is so ……..…. all she does is lay on the sofa and watch T.V.
- The nurses in the hospital were very …………, nothing was too much for them.
- British people in general are ……..……., but then manners don’t cost anything.
- My boss is very …….…….., she says that telling the truth is the best policy.
- Scottish people have a reputation for being ………..…, however, the ones I know are the complete opposite.
- Dealing with ………..….. people is really complicated, you never know what to expect.
PHRASAL VERBS WITH “TAKE”
- Our company needs to ______________ _________ 3 new members of staff.
- Being as her mortgage was so expensive and she had a spare bedroom, Maria ____________ _________ a lodger.
- Most people agree that paperwork _______________ _______ too much of doctor time.
- I’ve been thinking of ______________ _________ a new winter sport, but I just can’t decide which one.
- The captain said the plane would ____________________ _________ late due to a mechanical problem.
- The policeman ___________________ ___________ the names of the witnesses to the accident.
- To _____________ ___________ is a phrasal verb meaning to subtract.
- Students are encouraged to _______________ _________ notes during his lectures.
PHRASAL VERBS WITH “PUT”
- Students should ______________ _________ their hands whenever they have a question for the teacher.
- I think if we want to finish his job by Friday we will need to ___________ ________ a few hours overtime.
- We had to ____________ _________ our holidays owing to the amount of work.
- The meeting was _____________ __________ at the last minute as our manager was ill.
- If you can __________________ _________ 20€ a week for the next 6 months, I should have enough to pay a deposit on a new car.
- During the summer months firemen had to _______________ ____________ over 10 forest fires.
PHRASAL VERBS WITH “COME”
- Whenever there is a problem Janet always seems able to _______________ ___________ _____________ a solution.
- After the death of his grandparents Alex ________________ __________ a substantial amount of money.
- The substitute _________________ ___________ in the last minute and scored the winning goal.
- John told me his parents were _________________ ______________- for dinner on Sunday.