There are a few verbs that take both the infinitive and the ing form
Remember – ing
This is a memory you have of the past.
- a)I remember going to school for the first time.
Remember – infinitive
This is an action you will do after you remember.
- b)I must remember to buy milk on the way home.
Forget – ing
This is an action you did in the past that you don’t remember doing.
- c)Look there’s Marjorie in the photo! I forgot seeing her at the wedding.
Forget – infinitive
This is an action that you didn’t remember to do that you wanted to do.
- d)I often forget to buy milk on the way home, so I have to go back to the shop in the evening.
Start – ing
This is an action that you started and have been successful doing.
- e)I’ve started doing It is so relaxing.
Start – infinitive
This is an action you started, but stopped doing.
- f)I started to do my homework, but then I realised that I didn’t understand a thing and couldn’t do it.
Stop – ing
This describes the action that you stop.
- g)I have finally stopped smoking!
Stop – infinitive
This is when you interrupt one action to start another. It explains why you stop.
- h)I stopped to buy milk on the way home.
Try – ing
This is a suggestion. It is when you do something as an experiment to see if it works.
- i)I tried using a different charger for my phone, and it worked!
Try – infinitive
This means making an effort or at an attempt to do or achieve something, there is a chance you may fail.
- j)I want to try to make this recipe tonight.
Like – infinitive
Use this form to show that it is a habit for you to do this.
- k)I like to think carefully before I make a big decision.
Like – ing
This means to enjoy
- l)I like waking up slowly in the morning
Exercise 1.- Grammar
Adapt each word in brackets to make a verb pattern
- a)I like _______________(wake up) early in the morning.
- b)I really like _______________(eat) ice cream.
- c)If you drop your phone in water, try _____________(put) it in rice to absorb the water.
- d)He stopped _______________(buy) water for the road trip.
- e)She forgot _______________(get) pet food on the way home.
- f)He always remembers _______________(send) her a birthday card.
- g)My grandmother usually tries ___________(make) me eat the food she can’t finish!